Pumpkins are a harbinger of autumn, and they have been for centuries. In America, pumpkins are celebrated in the fall with pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup, pumpkin seeds. They’re carved into jack-o’-lanterns to light up homes on Halloween night. And they’re given as gifts through Thanksgiving Day.
Pumpkin’s origins can be traced back to Central America where it was used by Native Americans for food and medicine well before Europeans arrived there in the 1500s. Pumpkins were brought to Europe during exploration by Christopher Columbus during his second voyage in 1493 when he encountered them being grown along the shores of Honduras — at that time called “pompions.”
The first settlers who came from England planted pumpkins in the new colony, alongside other vegetables such as corn and squash. Early American pumpkins were harvested from wild vines that grew along stream banks, not from the modern cultivars that today’s cooks prefer for pies and jack-o’-lanterns.
Pumpkin is a common vegetable worldwide, used in both sweet and savory dishes. It is an excellent source of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Spice up Your Halloween With a Pumpkin Drawing
Pumpkin drawings are easy to draw with some practice using different techniques. Add a little pumpkin spice to your fall doodles, planning, and bullet journals with this easy to draw pumpkin tutorial.
Drawing pumpkins in the fall is a great way to get into the spirit of Fall and Halloween. It’s also a lot of fun. Drawing pumpkins can be used for decoration like for Thanksgiving, or as a craft project like making jack-o-lanterns.
When drawing pumpkins use different techniques, colors, shapes, or patterns to make your pumpkin even more unique. Adding details like faces is another way to make the pumpkin drawing come to life!
What You’ll Need to Get Started:
- paper (sticker paper, planner pages, or art paper)
- a pencil and eraser for light sketch lines
- the coloring medium of your choice (markers, pens, colored pencils, crayons, etc.)
How to Easily Draw a Pumpkin
You can easily draw a pumpkin by using a few basic geometric shapes. Ovals and rectangles make up the basic pumpkin shap. After that, you can add other shapes to create a cute and easy jack-o-lantern or fall center piece.
- The first step is to lightly sketch the outline of your pumpkin. Start with a tall oval shape.
- Add a rounded rectangle with inside curved edges to the top for the stem.
- Slowly draw curved lines for the sides of the pumpkin. With each additional curve getting thinner.
- Repeat this process two times on each side of your center oval.
- Add reflection lines or shading to your pumpkin.
- Once you’ve got the basic shape down you can practice adding faces to make a jack o lantern drawing.
How to Draw Cute Easy Pumpkin Step by Step
Examples of Pumpkins and Jack o Lantern Drawings
Here are some different examples of pumpkin drawings that you can use for inspiration when drawing your own.
Use these as a way to get ideas on how you want to incorporate pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns into your fall planner or bullet journal. Use them for cover pages, weekly spreads, or even for a fun mood tracker.